Companies implement SAP applications to automate functions across the business. If something breaks then so do the business processes that depend on their SAP system. This means business disruption and potential lost revenue.
How can we innovate and support the business with new projects faster and safer? Today we’re exploring how customers use LiveCompare to better manage and support a dual landscape environment, or N+1 landscape.
N+1 means that you have a business-as-usual (BAU)/production support landscape as well as a separate project stream landscape. These landscapes may be made up of DEV and QAS instances that ultimately feed the same PRD instance.
The N+1 Challenge
The challenges of N+1 are ensuring emergency corrections from BAU are integrated into the project streams. If not, you can find that bugs you thought you’d fixed months ago are reintroduced when a project is promoted to PRD.
Because the two landscapes are separate, change is not reflected in both and they can easily get out of sync. This is where IntelliCorp’s smart DevOps software, LiveCompare, helps.
Understand Landscapes Differences
By running LiveCompare, companies can automatically understand how systems are different and make sure change is synchronized across their landscapes.
One customer in the technology sector use LiveCompare to detect dependencies when they implement new support packs. If there is no dependency on the new support pack, they route the change through their BAU landscape. By using LiveCompare they are able to release 6000+ changes to production every year.
Here’s some detail on what they use LiveCompare to analyze:
- Data extraction from SAP tables
- Transport history information to asses if PRD was impacted.
- Transport and object metrics to understand if volume is increasing or decreasing.
- Transport audit trail to provide information on all transports promoted to PRD, and who approved a change within a set date range.
- Self-audit reports help change managers monitor transports and approvals. They can address any issues before they are flagged with auditors.
- Project transport analysis
- Before changes in code or configuration are released, a full list of transports, their owner and their last change date and status is created for complete visibility.
- Cross system comparison reports
- Typically a new project like a support pack will be released to more than eight systems. LiveCompare analyzes every transport attached to every project and does a compare. Comparisons include DEV to QA and QA to PRD. Reports generated detail any differences in code and configuration for every transport to every possible path to PRD. This insight significantly reduces problems at go-live.
- LiveCompare is also used to keep master data synchronized across ECC, BW and SRM.
- Daily miss reports
- Details any transports that haven’t landed.
Find out More
If you want more information on how best tackle the “dual maintenance” or N+1 challenge in an SAP environment, then contact us today to speak further or book a demo.